Article

12Jan, 2017

Women Who Made a Difference for the LGBT Community

Posted by : Universal Life Church Ministry Comments Off on Women Who Made a Difference for the LGBT Community
Notable Women who stood up for LGBT Rights

Most Americans are familiar with Ellen DeGeneres, one of the first major celebrities to come out as a lesbian. Her show “Ellen” was acclaimed for having the first openly lesbian character played by an openly gay woman. DeGeneres would go on to host the Academy Awards, and her talk show is one of the most popular daytime offerings. She practically changed Hollywood and its portrayal of lesbians. But she is just one person in a sea of many women who made a difference for the LGBT community by fighting for civil rights. Here are a few important women you should know:

• Staci Offner – In 1984, Offner was ordained as a Jewish rabbi. Three years later, after coming out as gay, she was fired from her position. She and some of the congregation who left the synagogue with her founded a congregation of their own. Offner was the first openly lesbian rabbi hired by a Jewish congregation. She has since left that original congregation and now serves in Connecticut as a rabbi.
  • Dale McCormick – McCormick was active in politics for many years before running for Maine state senator in 1990. She defeated the incumbent, a Republican. This was noteworthy because she was the first openly gay woman to win a state race. She now serves as Councilor, At-Large on the Augusta City Council.
  • Sherry Harris – One year after McCormick’s victory, Harris would be elected to the City Council in Seattle. Her claim to fame was that she was the first openly gay African-American woman elected to an official position in government.
  • Deborah Batts – in 1994, Batts would be appointed as a judge on the U.S. District Court in New York by President Bill Clinton, but she was recommended by Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Batts served on the Court until 2012, when she would take senior status.
  • Amanda Donohoe and Michele Greene of “L.A. Law” played the fictional characters C.J. Lamb and Abby respectively. They performed the first lesbian kiss on television in 1991.
  • Melissa Etheridge – This singer came out as openly lesbian in 1993, but it didn’t slow down her career. She is one of the most successful openly lesbian musicians. She has received multiple accolades, including two Grammys.
  • When civil unions were approved in Vermont, Carolyn Conrad and Kathleen Peterson were the first couple in the United States to have the honor of being united in a civil ceremony. This union helped to pave the way for many states to follow suit, until ultimately the Supreme Court ruled that all couples had marriage equality in Obergefell v. Hodges.
  • Tammy Suzanne Green Baldwin – Baldwin made history in 2012 when she became the first openly gay woman to win a seat in the U.S. Senate, serving as a Wisconsin State Senator. She had been serving in politics since 1986, working her way up through the ranks.
  • Rachel Maddow – Maddow attended Stanford University. During her first year there, the campus newspaper outed her. Later, she would earn a Rhodes Scholarship to begin her postgraduate studies, making her the first American who is openly lesbian or gay to win this honor. Her DPhil is in politics, and she is now a prominent television host.

When you need a positive role model, look to one of these women who made a difference in politics and the entertainment industry. Check out a biography of a lesbian who worked for civil rights and equality for all women. There are many people who have made a difference in the LGBT community, and we need to remember them. It’s not only about their contribution, but about the inspiration they provide for us today to make changes in people’s attitudes and stereotypes about the LGBT community.

Provides Wedding Training for Ordained Ministers